9.15.2009

UPDATE: Gender Controversy

I don't know how this story ended up being something I followed--but now that the story has concluded I had to share once more!

The update on the South African runner: after she underwent gender testing, she AND the rest of the world found out she was a hermaphrodite. Physically she appears to be a woman, however does not have female reproductive organs and has receded male "parts" that explains the high levels of testosterone.

I still think this whole thing could have been handled better! I'm just in shock and I feel bad for her--having to find out news like this in front of the whole world. I'm not sure what's going to happen to her athletic career--I believe she will continue for now, but it's possible the sports committee might feel she has an 'advantage' over the other female runners! Personally I say the committee should get out from looking under her skirt and let her get back to running! Unfair advantage? Physically she is a woman--just has high levels of testosterone---are they going to test everyone's hormones before they can race?? What's next, your legs are too long--you have an unfair advantage? Ugh this committee is so tasteless and disrespectful and probably emotionally scarred this young girl. a$$holes!

No comments:

Post a Comment